Sunday, April 04, 2010

A note to our readers

Hey --

Sunday, Sunday. We tried something a little different this go-round. Providing some articles early on. That was possible due to the fact that we posted some stuff to Flickr long before we were typing up the pieces.

Along with Dallas, the following helped on this edition:


The Third Estate Sunday Review's Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, and Ava,
Rebecca of Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude,
Betty of Thomas Friedman Is a Great Man,
C.I. of The Common Ills and The Third Estate Sunday Review,
Kat of Kat's Korner (of The Common Ills),
Cedric of Cedric's Big Mix,
Mike of Mikey Likes It!,
Elaine of Like Maria Said Paz),
Trina of Trina's Kitchen,
Ruth of Ruth's Report,
Wally of The Daily Jot,
Marcia of SICKOFITRDLZ,
Stan of Oh Boy It Never Ends,
Isaiah of The World Today Just Nuts,
and Ann of Ann's Mega Dub.


We thank every one of them. And what did we come up with.

Is this strong enough to be the truest, the top one, I (Jim) foolishly asked -- leading Dona to reply, "The fact that you asked means it has to be the top one." She was right.
We don't worship at the shrine of Glenn-Glenn here. But he did have something that qualified as a truest.

This is our Iraq piece. As Mike points out (I think it's Mike) in the roundtable, we need to do the Iraq pieces earlier in the writing edition. That didn't happen this week; however, that led us to raid C.I.'s journal to frame some of this piece with. So it was a win.
Ava and C.I. review V. Readers have been waiting for this review. Not sure that everyone will love it. But it is a funny and insightful piece.
Our roundtable. Hadn't planned on having one until Marcia reminded that we were supposed to have done one last weekend. This was done on the fly and without any major preparation. Even so, I think it went rather well. (I'll hear tomorrow, "You didn't let ___ speak once!")

When we realized we could put things up a bit at a time as we finished typing, I said I wanted this to go up for the longest. I wanted people to see that and think, "'Final Words.' Hmmm. They posted that. And they haven't posted anything else. I wonder if it's a message?" :D

Ava and C.I. did two articles this week. This one may end up the crowd pleaser. (However, it may very well be that the V one does. I just know some of our readers are in love with V.)
I love this one. And I wanted to use a title. (I usually come up with the headlines.) I wanted to say "Those Amazing Men and Their Flying Machines." But I couldn't remember the first part for the longest. It's a movie title. Mike remembered it at which point Dona pointed out that the feature has women in it too. I was bummed. C.I. quickly tossed out the title we used. I liked it due to the fact that it was similar to the other. I liked it even more when C.I. explained it was a 70s cartoon featuring Muttley the dog. (I always loved that character.)

This took the longest of any feature to write. And, in the end, Dona and Jess clipped out about a third of it. (Ava and C.I. did a seam to link two paragraphs together after Dona and Jess pulled out sixteen that had been between them.) I questioned that until I read it. It works much better without those 16 paragraphs. It's already coming to the end, just by the nature of the piece and those now missing paragraphs took you in a whole other direction.

We highlight someone offering another feminist critique.

Mike, Elaine, Wally, Cedric, Stan, Ann, Betty, Ruth, Marcia, Rebecca and Kat wrote this and we thank them for it.



And that's what we came up with. See you next Sunday.

Peace.

-- Jim, Dona, Ty, Jess, Ava and C.I.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }