Sunday, October 14, 2012

Truest statement of the week II

It distresses this African author to slowly come to the realization that African-American's honorable legacy of opposing Euro-America's imperialist wars is quickly eroding. This is by no means a rush observation on my part; my assessment dates back to 2008. It was in 2008 that a United States senator named Barack Obama was elected president. I was definitely within the minority of Africans who made the strong decision not to vote for either corporate candidate (Barack Obama & John McCain).  Senator Barack Obama made it clear that he intended to expand the war in Afghanistan if he was elected – and he more than made good on that promise. This is merely one of the reasons I had for not supporting Barack Obama as president. And if there was no better option for me, I would simply not have voted in that election. I don't buy in to the lesser of two evils argument; if you do you are ultimately still voting for evil.
 Several politically limited acquaintances of mine assumed that I was voting for the other warmonger, John McCain, when I informed them I that I would not be supporting their brown pirate. Without realizing it, they were showcasing the tiny boxes they resided within simply by way of their assumption. Within their politically manufactured world there are no other choices beyond that of Democrats and Republicans. They have been cleverly trained to believe that there are marked differences between the two corporate parties.  Some of these individuals thought I was "selling out" because I was not voting for the brown man – the brown man who could not give a damn about championing any policies that might tangibly improve African/black people's living conditions. I was a "sell out" for not wanting to vote for a man who openly supported an imperialist war – a brown man who voted for the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). It mattered little that I was actually voting for an African/black woman who had more political experience than Barack Obama or that she was anti-war and supported polices geared towards eradicating poverty and improving the living conditions of those who have been historically marginalized (including black folks). Most admitted that they never heard of the Green Party (www.gp.org). These concrete reasons mattered little – they thought I was wasting my vote on someone "who could not win this election." These folks wanted me to sell out my morality by voting for the lesser of two evils simply because that evil was brown. Sadly, some of these folks did not even know who Cynthia McKinney was, however, upon learning about her policies they verbally approved of them but could not vote for her since she was unknown and therefore had "no chance of winning."  "A vote for her was a vote for McCain", they said. They were oblivious tools of the Democratic Party, which now owned their political minds. For them, rationale discussion and facts were like Kryptonite.


--  Solomon Comissiong, "Obama's Destructive Foreign Policy and Black Disillusionment" (Black Agenda Report).
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
 
Poll1 { display:none; }